The Delaware Certified Thoroughbred Program contributes to the long-term economic prosperity of Delaware agriculture and encourages the preservation of Delaware farmland by rewarding horsemen who board horses at Delaware farms or training centers for at least 90 days prior to March 31st of their two-year-old year, and subsequently race them at Delaware Park. All Delaware-bred thoroughbreds are automatically included.
The one-time DCTP registration fee of $50 for weanlings and $100 for yearlings will entitle your horse to:
- Preference when entered at Delaware Park (providing they meet condition eligibility)
- 25% purse bonus for certifier for all first, second and third finishes up to $7,500 per horse per race.
- 25% purse bonus for horse owner for all first, second and third finishes up to $7,500 per horse per race.
- Enhanced value by making prospective owners and trainers aware by:
- Distinct identification in Delaware Park’s racing programs
- Delaware Certified designation in most sales catalog
- Distintive Delaware Certified saddle towels with the DC logo
- Eligible for four (4) DCTP restricted stake races with free nominations
- $75,000 Small Wonder, two-year-old, five and one half furlongs
- $75,000 The First State Dash, two-year-old, five and one half furlongs
- $75,000 The Tax Free Shopping Distaff , 3 & up fillies & mares,
- $75,000The New Castle, 3 & up, distance, date
Funding and Administering the Program
The Delaware Thoroughbred Horsemen’s Association contributes $500,000 per year to the Delaware Certified Thoroughbred Program from the horsemen’s purse fund with matching funds from the State of Delaware ($250,000) and Delaware Park ($250,000).
The fund is administered by the DTHA. Bonuses are paid directly to the owner via their horsemen’s bookkeeper account. The certifier is paid monthly.